My relationship to Taiwan is arbitrary and constantly fluctuating. Nonetheless, I'm always extremely excited to hear about big news coming from the island, particularly the World Games, which took place last week in Kaohsiung. I actually had no idea that the Games were taking place in Taiwan until I read an article about the stadium designed by Toyo Ito. The stadium itself is marvelous: it's the largest solar-powered stadium in the world. For me, it expresses everything that a stadium should reprsent: it's overall appearance suggests a coiled serpent, which lends it a vibrant energy lacking from most monolithic arenas. Part of it is also completely open to the park, with the idea that people will be able to simply come in and enjoy whatever's going on. Plus, it's gorgeous, right?



From what my mother's told me, everyone seems to have been really excited about the World Games. It's absolutely wonderful for Taiwan - it's always exciting to see us get some publicity. The cynic in me, however, sees it in a different light: how fitting is it that within a year of the Beijing Olympics, the World Games, an Olympic subsidiary for lesser-known sports, takes place in Taiwan? I think it really speaks to the political situation in the two countries.

Anyway, for more on the fantastic architect, Toyo Ito, check out this NYTimes article. He just got commissioned to do the Berkeley Arts Museum and they're beginning to build his design for the Taichung Opera House, which looks fantastic.

0 comments:

Post a Comment