she make the people say, "yeah"

photo from gazettetimes.com

I have an extreme, irony-free predilection for outdated pop tunes. That is, I can't really appreciate pop songs while they're still, uh, popular. Whether this is because I'm not up on the cultural zeitgeist or because of a deeply ingrained snobbism is unclear, but either way I always seem to rediscover songs several months or years after they are long off the radio (or in the case of Manhattan KS radio, it probably never went off because we still seem to enjoy SugarRay and other 90s poppettes). One of my all-time favorites is prepubescent pop sensation 3LW (the acronym stands for "3 Lil' Women), whose outrageously catchy song "No More (Baby I'ma Do it Right)" was reintroduced to me via my friend Nikki a few years back. One of my guilty Oxford pleasures was "Hot N' Cold" by Katy Perry, whose musical stylings usually cause a pop rash in my soul. However, the insane ubiquity of the song in English clubs meant that it became sort of anthem to the Oxford term abroad. It manages to conjure up hot, sweaty, awkward nights at The Bridge and unplugged singing while bopping around the Continent.

As of late, I've become obsessed with T-Pain. His "Buy You a Drink" was already a favorite from NY days, but it's his song "Can't Believe It" that really gets my jam flowing. I don't care what Jay-Z says, I love autotune, especially T-Pain's use of it. Not to mention, the graphics are ludicrously amusing - it looks like the graphics designer simply took his Sims dream houses and implanted it into the video.

0 comments:

Post a Comment